Here's my recipe for rice-cooker Nando's style spicy rice.
Since buying a rice cooker my life has honestly been SO MUCH EASIER, and i'm not even being dramatic.
I have always struggled to make rice in the pan for some reason; it always turned out kinda sticky, but despite that, i acquired my rice cooker sort-of by accident.
I bought a Tefal 8-in-1 Multi Cooker for it's 'slow cooker' capabilities; it's actually a mega machine with 8 different settings (rice, brown rice, grains, steamer...) and since trying the rice setting i've never cooked my rice any other way! It makes perfect rice with minimal effort; meaning i'm able to experiment and make lots of different rice recipes.
This recipe is a nice change from our regular rice as it uses risotto rice (we're a family of basmati lovers). So next time you're craving Nando's spicy rice, but want to save some cash, and eat it on your sofa, give this recipe a go:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 chicken stock cube (You could use vegetable stock instead)
- 1/2 cup peas
- Fry pepper and onion in heated oil for 2 minutes; stirring constantly
- Add dried spices to the pan and cook for further 1 minute (Add more oil if the mixture is dry)
- Add risotto rice, water and chicken stock to the hot pan and turn off the heat
- Stir thoroughly so the rice is coated and nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pan
- Transfer contents of the pan to your rice cooker; and set to white rice cook
- After the first buzz, add your peas, stir and put the lid back down
- Once completely cooked, stir and serve