Here's a great recipe for a healthy, sweet and sour chicken. Pineapple and honey provides the sweet kick to the dish, whilst garlic, soy and rice wine vinegar add the sour elements.
This dish is extremely moorish, fruity and loved by the whole family. Serve with white rice and spring onions.
This healthy sweet and sour takeaway is packed with lots of fresh pineapple and peppers; serve with baked fish, chicken or pork for the ultimate comforting fake-away!
rice wine vinegar
crushed chilli flakes
- Oil or low cal spray
cut into bite sized chunks
ginger garlic paste
(if you don’t have the mixed one, just add a tsp of each)
(Of any colour, but I like to use one red and one green)
cut into bitesized chunks
Mix your chopped chicken with ginger garlic paste and 2 tbsp soy sauce; set aside to marinate for 20 minutes whilst you make the sauce
To make the sauce: mix all 'sauce' ingredients together and blend until smooth in your food processor/blender
Heat a large frying pan and spray with low-cal spray or a small amount of oil
Add chicken and chopped onions to the pan and stir fry until chicken begins to brown
Add peppers, and stir fry until chicken is cooked through and peppers and onions are lightly browned
Add the sauce you prepared earlier to the pan, turn down the heat and stir thoroughly to coat the chicken and veg
Cook for a further 5 minutes, then remove from heat and serve
I served mine with steamed white rice, sprinkled with chopped spring onions
How to make healthy sweet and sour chicken at home
- Marinate chopped chicken with soy sauce and garlic and ginger paste
- Mix to thoroughly coat the chicken
- Cover and put in the fridge for half an hour, while you make the sauce and prepare the vegetables
- For the sauce, make sure you have all the ingredients measured
- Mix together the rice wine vinegar, garlic granules and cornflour
- Stir to make smooth paste
- Add all ingredients to your food processor/blender/liquidiser
- Mix/blend until smooth. Then set aside, whilst you cook the rest of the meal.
- Chop an onion, two peppers and the remainder of the pineapple. This is the vegetable which will be cooked alongside the chicken; so chop to the size you prefer to eat, I like mine like this:
- Heat oil in a large pan
- Add the earlier marinated chicken to the hot oil, with the chopped onions and cook until the chicken begins to get some colour
- Add the chopped peppers and stir
- Once the chicken and peppers are browning, add the pineapple chunks to the pan and stir
- Add the earlier prepared sauce to the pan
- Stir to coat the vegetables and chicken and bring the mixture to boil
- Add soy sauce to the pan
- Stir and continue to simmer for a couple of minutes
- Optional - taste the mixture and add some dried chilli flakes if you want it to be spicy
- Serve and enjoy!