This hunters ‘style’ chicken recipe has been adapted from the classic pub dinner to be cooked quickly without fuss.
It has all the elements of a hunters chicken dinner: chicken, bacon, cheese and lashings of sticky BBQ sauce. In fact – all the cheese and sauce made this one difficult to photograph haha.
Instead of using straight BBQ sauce I’ve made a BBQ tomato sauce – to me, it’s a lighter dish (both in calories and taste) which feel the perfect balance of sweet and savoury. You can adjust the sauce to match your families taste this way too!
Instead of wrapping the chicken in bacon i’ve kept it simple and incorporated the bacon into the sauce. Cutting the chicken into pieces means it’ll cook quicker and have more BBQ flavour on it – plus the bacon will be guaranteed to be cooked how you do that bit first.
How to make Hunters Chicken in the Actifry
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Chop the onions, chicken and bacon (I cut my chicken breasts and bacon into 3rds)
2. Add the oil, bacon and onion to the Actifry and cook for 8 minutes (or until the bacon is cooked to your liking
3. Whilst the bacon and onions are cooking, place the chicken breasts into a sandwich bag (or bowl) and coat in the tbsp of bbq seasoning (I used Morrisons own brand)
4. Then, mix together the BBQ sauce, passata, honey and Worcestershire sauce
5. Once the bacon and onions have cooked, add the coated chicken to the Actifry
6. Cook for a further 5 minutes
7. Then pour in the BBQ sauce mixture
8. And cook for 10-15 minutes more (until the chicken is cooked through)
9. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the paddle and place thin strips (or grated) cheese on top of the chicken
10. Cook until melted (1-2 minutes) then serve!
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 4 Stips Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp BBQ Dry Spice Rub
- 3 Tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 250ml Passata
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sasuce
- Handful Grated Cheddar
- To Serve (Optional)
- Wedges & Corn
- Chop the chicken breasts into 3rds
- Then cut the bacon into bite-size pieces and dice the onion
- To the Actifry add the onion, bacon and oil and cook for 10 minutes (or until the bacon is cooked to your liking)
- Meanwhile, mix together the chicken breasts and BBQ seasoning
- In a bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, passata, honey and Worcestershire sauce (taste, and adjust per your preference - if you want more BBQ add more BBQ sauce, if you want more sweet add more honey, if its too sweet add a dash or Worcestershire)
- Once the bacon & onions are cooked, add the seasoned chicken and cook for 5 minutes
- Then pour in the BBQ sauce mixture and cook for a futher 10-15 minutes - until the chicken is cooked through
- Optional: Once cooked, remove the paddle and top the chicken with sliced/melted cheese - then close the lid and cook for 1-2 minutes until melted
- Serve with chips, salad and corn
If you'd prefer to keep the chicken breasts whole, follow the recipe but allow them to cook for longer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 379 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Sodium 546mg Carbohydrates 14g Fiber 1g Sugar 8g Protein 46g