The latest in my Actifry Recipes series is Sweet and sour chicken! This Actifry sweet and sour chicken is super light and delicious – a healthy alternative to a Takeaway or supermarket sauce jar.
The flavors of this dish are Chinese inspired, fresh and light.
Battered chicken is swapped for soy, garlic and ginger marinated chicken breast chunks – with fresh peppers and onions adding lots of bite! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
How to make Sweet & Sour Chicken in the Actifry
Scroll down for printable recipe card!
- Begin by chopping the onions and peppers into equal pieces
- Add the onion to your Actifry, with the oil and cook with the paddle in for 12 minutes
- Whilst the onion is cooking, chop the chicken breast into equal bitesize pieces and place into a bowl with the ginger/garlic paste, soy sauce and Chinese five spice
- Stir so the chicken is evenly coated
- Once the Actifry buzzes to say the onions have cooked, add the marinated chicken and peppers and turn on the Actifry to cook for 3 minutes
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, take 1 tbsp of the pineapple juice and mix this with the cornflour until smooth
- Once the Actifry buzzes again, add the tin of pineapple, and all the juice, and the cornflour juice mixture
- Then add the rice wine vinegar, ketchup and oyster sauce and cook for a further 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, the chicken should be cooked – check to see the chicken pieces are white throughout – if not, continue to cook until it is white – if it’s cooked – your dinner is ready! I usually serve this with white rice or chips!
- 1 Tbsp Oil (Peanut if you have it, if not, use sunflower or olive oil)
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1x 425g Tin Chopped Pineapple in Juice (or in syrup)
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar (rice vinegar is the same thing)
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (or mix equal amount of lazy garlic and lazy ginger)
- Spring Onions - To Serve (Optional)
- Chop the peppers and onion into equal sized chunks
- Then add the chopped onion and oil to the Actifry and cook with the paddle in for 12 minutes
- Whilst the onion is cooking, chop your chicken breast into equal, bite sized pieces
- Place the chopped chicken into a bowl and add the soy sauce, ginger garlic paste and Chinese five spice - mix
- After the buzzer goes off for the onions, add the marinated chicken (and any liquid in the bowl) and the peppers to the Actifry
- Cook, paddle in, for 5 minutes
- Whilst the chicken and peppers are cooking, open the tin of pineapple, and mix one tbsp of the juice with the cornflour
- After 2 minutes, pour the tin of pineapple, plus its juice, and the cornflour mixture into the Actifry
- Then immediately add the ketchup, rice wine vinegar and oyster sauce - close the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, the chicken should be cooked through and the sauce mixed - if your chicken isn't cooked through, then cook it longer until it is white throughout
- Once your chicken is cooked through - serve! I like to top mine with spring onion and serve on a bed of white rice
It's better with pineapple in syrup, but more calorific and harder to find in supermarket - if you have a tin of pineapple in syrup - i'd recommend to use this instead of the juice tin.