These banana brownies are my favourite thing to make with over-ripe bananas. They’re simple to make and absolutely delicious. The recipe is made using crushed bananas, mixed into a rich, moist banana brownie batter.
The brownies are soft and sweet – and the addition of banana makes the texture kind of… spongey? They’re different to non-banana brownies for the texture (and of course, banana flavour) and I love that! They’re moist and last in the fridge for up to 7 days too! I love to eat these served with a scoop of ice cream, or lashings of vanilla custard.
This is a recipe I go to when I have leftover brownies but don’t fancy banana bread… overripe leftover bananas are the perfect excuse to get baking! These brownies also freeze well, and can be easily defrosted whenever you fancy one! They’re super decadent and very chocolatey, despite not having any melted chocolate in them.
Love brownies? Check out my super rich caramel brownie recipe too!
How to make banana brownies at home
Scroll down for printable recipe card and ingredient list
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 180c. Then, melt the butter into a pan (or microwave until melted) then turn the heat off
2. Pour the sugar into the melted butter
3. Stir until combined – then allow to cool whilst you mix the rest of the ingredients
4. Lightly beat the eggs in your mixing bowl
5. Then add in the cocoa, flour, vanilla, salt and baking soda
6. Then pour in the butter/sugar mixture and whisk to combine
7. Then, in a bowl peel and mash your ripe bananas (using a fork to mash)
8. Add the mashed bananas into the brownie mixture and stir to combine
9. Then, line a baking tray with foil (or baking paper) and pour in the banana brownie mix
10. Bake for 30 mins on 180C – then allow to cool before cutting and serving
- 115g unsalted butter or baking spread (I used Stork for cakes)
- 220g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 90g plain flour
- 3x ripe bananas
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Line your baking tray/dish and line with parchment or baking paper
- In a pan (or microwave) melt the butter until liquid (gently heat for 10-second batches in the microwave, or gently heat in a pan and keep your eye on it - mixing throughout
- Once the butter is melted, add the sugar into the hot butter and stir until combined
- Allow this to stand whilst you mix the below
- Peel and crush your bananas in a bowl
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, then add in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, flour and vanilla and mix together using a whisk or fork
- Add the hot butter/sugar mixture to the egg/cocoa mixture and stir until smooth
- Pour the brownie mixture into the lined baking tray
- Smooth the top until the mixture is evenly spread out in the tray
- Bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes, until the brownies are 'set' on the edges, but the still moist centre (they'll firm up as they cool - you don't want the middle to be liquid though, it's just likely to be a little softer than the edges when fresh out of the oven)
- Remove them from the oven and allow to cool before cutting and serving
- The brownies will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days in an airtight container
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 52mgSodium 131mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 3g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!