This chicken tikka masala recipe is a ‘restaurant’ style which is marinated tandoori chicken, in a smooth, creamy and sweet tomato-based sauce. It’s perfect for the whole family to enjoy – as it’s mild and sweet and once you know how to cook this – you’ll not want take-away again!
I’ve adapted this recipe to be able to be cooked in about 30 minutes, without the need for a base sauce. The sweetness in this dish comes from ground almonds, coconut milk and tinned tomato soup – not a traditional Indian recipe of course, but a classic British curry for sure!
The recipe serves 4 people and comes in at under 500 calories per portion! Chose how you’d prefer to cook your chicken – grilled or baked, this is a separate step from making the sauce.
This chicken tikka masala is a go-to for me when hosting friends for an Indian ‘take-away’ night. It’s top of the list for many when they think of take-away and is so much lighter to make at home – and you can make this recipe for vegetarians too – just roast some veg separately (I tend to do cauliflower and sweet potatoes) then toss in the sauce.
If you want your tikka masala sauce to be red, just add a drop of food colouring. This is totally optional and something which I tend to skip… but if it was a special occasion or we want the ‘takeaway’ feel I’ll add it in.
How to make restaurant-style chicken tikka masala at home
Scroll down to the bottom for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Begin by cutting the chicken breast into equal-sized pieces, and add the tandoori spices and lemon juice
2. Mix the spices into the chicken – then transfer your chicken onto a baking tray/grilling tray (or to the Actifry if using)
3. Cook until white throughout and edges are slightly browned (to your preference)
4. Meanwhile, chop the onion and pepper into rough pieces – then, heat a non-stick pan and add the oil and onion
5. Cook the onion for 3 minutes, stirring often – then add in the garlic paste and tomato puree – stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes (be careful, garlic paste often splutters)
6. Next, add in the pepper pieces and dried spices (turmeric, cumin and paprika) – stir to coat and cook for 1 min
7. Then, add in the tomato soup
8. And then add in the coconut milk, stir to combine (the sauce should be simmering at this point)
9. Finally, add in the tomato ketchup and ground almonds, stir to mix through
10. Turn off the heat, allow to cool slightly then blend to a smooth sauce in your blender (or use an immersion blender)
11. Once the sauce is smooth, add in the cooked chicken pieces – stir to coat in the sauce, then serve!
For the Chicken
- 1 tbsp tandoori spice
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Diced)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 200ml Cream of Tomato Soup
- 300g Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp red food colouring
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, then mix with the tandoori seasoning and lemon juice
- Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge whilst you make the sauce
- Preheat your grill or oven (depending how you prefer to cook the chicken)
- Roughly chop the onion and pepper
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan
- Add in the onion, stir and cook for 3 minutes on a low/medium heat
- Then add in the garlic paste and tomato puree – stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes (be careful, garlic paste often splutters)
- Next, add in the pepper pieces and dried spices (turmeric, cumin and paprika) – stir to coat and cook for 1 min
- Add both in the tomato soup and coconut - stir to combine and bring to a simmer
- Then add in the tomato ketchup and ground almonds, stir to mix through
- Turn off the heat, allow to cool slightly then blend to a smooth sauce in your blender (or use an immersion blender)
- Once the sauce is smooth, return it to the pan - the sauce is ready!
- Cook the chicken pieces as per your preference - you can grill them or cook in the oven - until white throughout and slightly charred on the outside - if you're grilling the chicken it usually takes about 10 minutes, in the oven, this would be 15 minutes-ish. Please cut a piece in half and check its cooked through before serving
- Once the chicken is cooked - add it into the sauce, bring the sauce to simmer until warmed through – then serve!
You can cook the chicken in the Actifry too 🙂 It takes 12-14 minutes in my Actifry.
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Trans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 110mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 41g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!