These cornflake cakes are one of my favourite sweet treats. They’re super simple to make, require no baking, are ready in no time AND everyone loves them!
You do need to use BAKING chocolate for this recipe, ideally. It melts easier and there’s no risk of it going ‘grainy’ like some chocolate bars do.
This recipe is very generous on the chocolate and also includes marshmallows – as they’re delicious and make the mixture hold together really when when eating (instead of being crumbly). I look forward to making these every easter, and because they’re so simple and easy (takes about 15 minutes) they’re a pleasure to make!
How to make chocoalte cornflake cakes
Scroll down for printable recipe and ingredient list
1. Place the marshmallows, chocolate, golden syrup and butter into a large, microwaveable bowl
2. Zap in the microwave for 20 seconds, then stir
3. Then, zap for another 20 seconds, and stir – continue this until the chocolate and butter begin to melt
4. Then stir until the whole mixture is melted and combined, and repeat this until the mixture is smooth and all melted (try not to over-microwave it as it can become grainy)
5. Then, add in the cornflakes
6. And use a spatula or large spoon to delicately mix, to coat all the cornflakes
7. Then, spoon the mixture into muffin or cupcake cases, press down a little with each spoonful you add so there isn’t any large gaps between the cornflakes (which would make it hard to eat)
8. Then, top this with mini eggs (if using) and allow to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes, or at room temperature for 30 minutes, until the chocolate has ‘set’ before eating
- 100g cornflakes
- 300g chocolate
- 80g butter
- 50g golden syrup
- 4 marshmallows
- Mini eggs (optional)
- Break the block(s) of cooking chocolate into pieces and place into a large microwaveable bowl
- Add to that bowl, the butter, golden syrup and marshmallows
- Put into the microwave, and cook for 20 seconds, then stir, then another 20 seconds, then stir, then another 20 seconds - repeat this until the mixture is soft and melted (once the chocolate/butter begin to melt, you should be able to stir to melt it all, without needing to re-microwave)
- Once all melted, add in the cornflakes and use a spatula or large spoon to stir to coat the cornflakes
- Then, lay out 6 muffin cases (or 8-12 smaller cupcake cases) and spoon the mixture into each. Make sure to press it down slightly so there aren't large gaps within the mix
- If using, place 2-3 mini eggs on top of the cakes
- Put in the fridge for 10 minutes (or leave at room temperature for 30 mins) to allow the mixture to 'set' - then eat and enjoy!
Do not over-microwave the chocolate mixture, it will go grainy.
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 6mgSodium 85mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 3g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!