Cook the delicious restaurant classic at home on your stove with this quick and easy recipe using white basmati rice.
- 250g White Basmati Rice
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Finely Chopped Onion
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cardamon Pods
- 2cm Stick of Cinnamon
- t tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Chicken or Vegetable Stock Cube
- 400ml Water
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Start by chopping your onion - and rinsing your rise following the instructions on the packet.
Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan to medium heat. (non-stick is very important)
Add onion, cloves, cardamon pods, cumin seeds and cinnamon to the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes - stirring constantly to ensure nothing sticks.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil - then immediately reduce to a very low heat (i move the pan to my smaller ring for this part)
Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 25 minutes. Stir the rice once half way through cooking to ensure noting is sticking to the bottom of the pan - immediately replace the lid.
After 25 minutes, remove the lid and stir - there should be no water left in the pan and the rice should be cooked. Return the lid, and leave covered, with the heat turned OFF for a further 10 minutes - the heat from the pan will continue to steam the rice slightly.
After 10 minutes resting, the rice is ready to serve. Pick out the cinnamon, cloves and cardamon pods and serve with your favorite curry, topped with fresh coriander (optional).
If there is still water in the pan after the 25 minutes cooking time and your rice isn't cooked through, return the lid and continue to cook until it is how you like it.
How To Make Easy Pilau Rice At Home
- Rinse the rice as per packet instructions
- Heat oil in a large, non stick pan and add onion, cinnamon, cloves, cumin and cardamon
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until the onions begin to turn clear
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan
- Stir and turn the heat up and bring to boil
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and put a lid on the pan
- Cook the rice on LOW for 25 minutes – stirring halfway through
- After 25 minutes, there should be no water left. Turn the heat off, remove the lid, stir the rice, and return the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the rice should be cooked and fluffy with no remaining liquid. Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy!