This is my go-to rice pudding recipe. It’s easy to make in a saucepan, on the hob and really is one of the easiest desserts you can make. All you need is pudding rice, milk, vanilla and sugar – and a pan!
This recipe is much ‘lighter’ than most, I don’t add any additional cream or excessive sugar – I don’t think it’s needed as the pudding rice makes the milk so thick and creamy on its own. You can of course top this recipe pudding recipe with any topping you enjoy – jam, Nutella, banana, chocolate chips etc. I tend to keep it simple and eat it just as it is – but do occasionally enjoy chopped banana and chocolate chips on top.
You can eat this rice pudding hot or cold, and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days after cooking.
Whilst the recipe is simple and easy to follow – the one tip I’d give is please watch the pan and the milk when you’re bringing it to the boil, and keep a wooden spoon in the milk (or any other utensil you’re using – make sure the handle doesn’t get too hot though). You’ll then want to turn the heat down to the lowest you can for the remainder of the cooking.
How to make rice pudding on the hob
Scroll down for ingredient list and recipe card
1. To a cold saucepan, add the pudding rice
2. Then the milk and vanilla extract
3. And the sugar (you can use either caster or granulated – whichever you have)
4. Stir to combine, then turn the heat to medium-high
5. And bring to the boil – watch the pan and stir often, milk can bubble over the pan quite quickly and make a mess – this step usually takes about 4 minutes for me. Keep your wooden spoon or spatula in if you can – this helps the milk to not bubble over, make sure the handle doesn’t get too hot though.
6. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and stir
7. Place a lid on the pan and continue to cook on the lowest setting for 30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so.
8. After 30 minutes, the rice should be soft and the mixture creamy – so it’s done! If it’s not yet soft, continue cooking until it’s done to your liking – then serve!
- 800ml milk
- 125g pudding rice
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To a saucepan, add the rice, sugar, vanilla extract and milk
- Stir to combine, then bring the mixture to boil (stir it often) this can take around 5 mins - as soon as its boiled turn the heat right down to a very low simmer
- Put the lid on your pan and allow to cook for 30 minutes on low heat- stir it often
- After 30 minutes, the rice should be soft and mixture creamy, it will continue to thicken as it cools too
If the rice isnt soft after 30 minutes, continue to cook until it is
Be careful and watch the pan as you're bringing the mixture to boil - milk can boil very quickly and bubble over the top of the pan
Amount Per Serving Calories 273Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 17mgSodium 153mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 0gSugar 24gProtein 9g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!