Tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food, lovely served with a crusty loaf, or cheese toastie. This easy tomato soup recipe is my go-to for when I fancy a rich tomato soup without much effort.
All in all, it takes about 15 minutes ‘active’ cook time, the rest is just simmering and blending. The ‘special’ ingredient which brings a-lot of richness to this tomato soup is sun-dried tomato pesto. You can find this in jars on the ‘pasta’ aisle of most supermarkets.
This recipe comes in at under 200 calories per portion and is packed full of goodness. The perfect lunch!
How to make easy tomato soup at home
Scroll down for printable recipe card and ingredient list
1. Begin by chopping the leek/s and peeling the 3 garlic loves. When chopping the leeks, remove the top, woody part
2. Rinse and clean the leek/s of any dirt, then dry off with a clean tea towel
3. Add the chopped leeks and peeled garlic into a large saucepan and add in the butter
4. Turn the heat to low/medium, melt the butter then stir to coat the leek. Cook on low/medium for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft – like this:
5. Then, add in the chicken stock and water – stir to combine then bring to a simmer
6. Next, add in the tinned plum tomatoes, tomato pesto, salt and sugar and bring to a simmer
7. Put the lid on your saucepan, and gently simmer for 15 minutes – then it’s cooked! Allow to cool before blending into a smooth soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 large leek, or 2 small
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- Chop the leek into slices - remove the woody top part. Peel the garlic cloves
- Wash the sliced leek of any dirt, then dry in a clean tea towel
- Add the leek/s and garlic cloves to a large saucepan and then add in the butter
- Heat until the butter is melted then stir to coat the leeks with it
- Cook on low/medium for 10 minutes - until the leeks are soft - stir occasionally and don't let the leeks brown
- Then, add in the vegetable stock - stir and bring to simmer
- Next, add in the plum tomatoes, sun-dried tomato pesto, salt and sugar
- Stir all to combine
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook on a gentle simmer for 15 minutes
- Using an immersion blender, blend until the soup is completely smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, allow the soup to cool and transfer to a traditional blender to smooth.
- Serve and enjoy with crusty buttered bread
This recipe makes 2 large portions and can easily be doubled.
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 16mgSodium 1095mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!