We all love flavoured chips right?! Theyr’e amongst the most popular recipes I have here on the blog. I think they work so well as they’re a simple, slightly different side dish which are sooo good!
These festive chips contain lots of the traditional trimmings of a Christmas dinner, fried with festive seasoning and a portion of chips! They’re so delicious it was hard for me and my husband not to eat them all before I got a decent photo.
These festive chips are chips tossed in a mixture of cooked pigs in blankets, sprouts, carrots and caramelised onions. Seasoned with festive seasoning for a very addictive side dish!
If you’re making this recipe after Christmas and have leftovers to use up, I’d throw them into this recipe too! Leftover ham, turkey or beef would all work well here! I dipped the chips into gravy!
If you’re not traditionally a fan of sprouts – try adding a few less into the recipe – but still, try them! They taste completely different fried with bacon and seasonings.
You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by skipping the pigs in blankets.
How to make festive chips
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Cook the oven chips as per the packet instructions – as they cook, do the below steps
2. Slice the onion into strips, peel and slice the sprouts into rounds (about 4 cuts across the whole sprout), and finely slice the carrot (I used a potato peeler)
3. Cut the pigs in blankets in half
3. Heat a pan to medium heat and add in the pigs in blankets and onions (no need to add oil as the fat from the pigs in blankets will grease the pan – if at any point you don’t have enough oil to get everything moving add a little more)
4. Cook – stirring often – until everything begins to brown. Don’t worry that the bacon and sausage separate – this will happen in most cases
5. Then add the sprouts and stir to coat in the flavour (you might need to add a touch more oil at this point if the pan is too dry to fry the sprouts)
6. Fry the sprouts for about 5 minutes then add in the dried seasoning
7. Stir so everything is well combined and fry for 2 minutes more
8. Add in the carrots and cooked chips
9. Stir to mix everything together and ensure everything is hot throughout – then serve!
- 500g frozen chips (or as many as would normally serve 4)
- 10 Pigs In Blankets (or as many as you want to add)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 250g Sprouts
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pre-heat the oven and cook chips as per packet instructions
- Slice the onion, finely slice the carrot (I used a potato peeler) and peel and slice the sprouts into strips
- Cut each pig in blanket in half
- Heat a non-stick large frying pan
- Add the pigs in blankets and onions
- Cook until they begin to evenly brown (about 5 minutes)
- Then add in the sprouts, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Then add in the dried seasoning
- Stir to coat everything, and cook for 2 mins more
- Add in the carrots and cooked chips - stir
- Make sure everything is hot throughout and coated with all the flavours
- Then serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 527Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 10mgSodium 669mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 10g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!