Sausage stew is a dinner I absolutely adore. It’s so homely, comforting and fuss-free making it perfect for the whole family to enjoy. You’ll probably already have all of the ingredients in your cupboards right now!
The recipe is quick and can be cooked in around 20 minutes, making it absolutely perfect for busy evenings or those days where you just don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen!
Baked beans are the ‘wild-card’ ingredient in the recipe – I’ve avoided using fancy tinned beans or even heaps of veggies because a) it doesn’t need them and b) this is easy comfort food! The baked beans add the perfect amount of sweet tomato-ey-ness (is that a word?) and so readily available.
I tend to cook this recipe with my favourite sausages – the ‘caramelised onion’ ones from Morrisons (M&S also do great caramelised onion sausages!). They pack tons of flavour and brown really well, but of course, you can use any sausages you like in this stew recipe. You can even use veggie or chicken sausages – just adjust the timings appropriately.
How to cook this perfect Sausage Stew
Scroll down for printable recipe card and ingredient list
1. Heat some oil in a large, non-stick pan. Then add in the sliced onions and sausages. Fry on medium/high heat for around 10 minutes, or until the sausages and onions begin to brown.
2. Next, add theg arlic and pepper to the pan
3. Continue to cook for a few more minutes, until the garlic smells fragrant
4. Then, add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then turn the heat to a low simmer and conitnue to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Then serve! I love to eat this sausage stew with mashed potato or beans and a slice of buttered bread.
- 8-12 Sausages
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Pepper
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 200ml Water
- 1 400g Tin Baked Beans
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Finely slice the onion and crush the garlic
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan to medium heat
- Add the sausages and onions
- Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes (or until the onions begin to caramelise and the sausages are browned all over)
- Next, add the pepper and crushed garlic, cook for 2 minutes
- Then, add all remaining ingredients
- Stir to combine, turn to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Once the sauce is thick and the sausages cooked through remove from heat and serve with mashed potatoes or chips
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 562Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 85mgSodium 1600mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 5gSugar 13gProtein 23g