Now we’re coming into the autumn and winter months all I fancy is comforting stews and casseroles. Thankfully, this beef stew is so easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker that you can have it any day of the week!
I’ve always adored beef stew and as I’ve adapted this recipe over the past few years I love it more and more. The only liquid in this stew is Guinness – making for a traditional Irish dish. If you’ve never added Guinness to your stew and are not sure how it’ll turn out – please trust me, it is amazing.
The gravy is glossy and rich in flavour, with tender pieces of steak and carrot. I have chosen not to add onions to the recipe as they can sometimes make a slow cooker dish taste a little… off, in my opinion. So instead we use onion granules with garlic and the result is delicious.
I always pair this beef stew with mashed potato and crusty bread, the way I enjoyed it growing up. There’s something SO comforting about this stew it’s the type of dinner I truly look forward to winter for.
How to beef stew in the Slow Cooker
Scroll down for printable recipe card and ingredient list.
1. Cut the beef into equal-sized pieces
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan on the hob. I have the Sizzle & Simmer slow cooker so I can heat my slow cooker pan directly on the hob.
3. Add the sliced carrots and cook for 3 minutes (stirring once)
4. Next, add the pieces of steak and crushed garlic
5. Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring often
6. Next, add the onion granules, garlic granules and beef stock cube
7. Stir to coat the meat then cook for a further 3 minutes
8. Then, add the Guinness, stir and bring to boil
9. Finally, transfer to your slow cooker dish and cook, lid on, for 3 hours on high or 4 hours on low (slow cookers can differ a lot though – this is the right timings for my high-temp model, but if you think the recipe needs longer in your slow cooker please set the timing appropriately).
10. Once cooked, add in gravy granules and stir to thicken the sauce to your liking
18. And mix until thickened
- 500g braising beef (sometimes called stewing steak)
- 2-3 large carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 500ml bottle of Guinness
- 2 tbsp Beef gravy granules (to thicken)
- Chop the beef into bite sized pieces
- Chop the carrots and crush the garlic cloves
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan to medium heat
- Then add the carrots - cook for around 3 minutes, until starting to brown
- Then add the beef and garlic, cooking for a further 3 minutes
- Next, add the stock cube, garlic granules and onion granules
- Stir, then pour in the bottle of Guinness, bring to the boil
- Stir and ensure the stock cube is dissolved
- Then transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 3 (slow cookers vary from model to model. If you usually cook beef longer in your model please adjust accordingly)
- Once cooked, stir through some gravy granules until the sauce is the thickness you like
- Serve with creamy mash and crusty bread (optional)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 439 Total Fat 25g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 109mg Sodium 263mg Carbohydrates 9g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 35g