This Slow Cooker Bolognese recipe is made with red wine and braising steak – for a rich sauce and meat so tender it melts in the mouth.
Slow cooked beef is the best way to cook it for great texture and taste. This bolognese is easy to prepare and delightful to come home to. I opt for this recipe over traditional stovetop spaghetti bolognese for the taste and convenience.
The first steps to making this Slow Cooker Bolognese is to brown off the beef and onions – this step is really important. It develops the flavours and makes the dish much richer in taste.
If you don’t wish to use red wine when making your bolognese you can substitute it for water.
How to make Bolognese in the slow cooker
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Heat oil in a large non-stick pan, or in your slow cooker pan if you have a sizzle & simmer model
2. Add the beef and onions to the hot oil
3. Cook until the beef and onions are browned (5-10 minutes on medium high)
4. Then add the Italian seasoning
5. Then add the tinned tomatoes
6. And red wine (200ml is half the tin – so I use the tin to measure)
7. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except cornflour)
8. And cook (lid on) on low for 3 hours or high for 5
9. Once the bolognese has cooked, take 1 tbsp of sauce and mix with the cornflour
10. Stir this into the bolognese to thicken the sauce
11. Then serve! On a bed of spaghetti, topped with cheese (Optional)
- 400g Braising Steak
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 200ml Red Wine (if you don't have any Red Wine, use water instead)
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
To Serve (Optional)
- Spaghetti, Garlic Bread & Grated Cheese
- Finely dice the onion and garlic cloves
- Chop the braising steak into bite-size pieces
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan (or use the slow cooker pan if you have a sizzle & simmer model)
- Add the steak and onion to the hot oil and cook for 3 minutes, until both are browning
- Then add the garlic clove and cook for 1 minute
- Next add the Italian seasoning and allow to cook for 30 seconds
- Then add the remaining ingredients
- Stir to combine
- Then pour all into the slow cooker, and cook for high for 3 hours or low for 5 with the lid on
- Once cooked, take a spoonful of the sauce and put it into a cup/bowl. Add the tbsp of cornflour and mix to form a paste.
- Pour this paste back into the slow cooker and stir - this will thicken the sauce.
- Once cooked, stir and serve on a bed of spaghetti bolognese.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 368 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 97mg Sodium: 871mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 29g