As we come into the winter months and the hours of sunlight shorten, all I crave is rich and hearty casseroles and stews. I’m building my slow cooker recipes to include all of my winter favourites – and this is definitely top of the list.
A rich, chicken casserole made with leeks and white wine – easy to prep before work and come home to – or enjoy on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
I love casserole with rich mashed potato and crusty bread – so comforting!
The slow cooker I have tends to cook quicker than others – I cooked this recipe for 4 hours on high in my slow cooker, but please amend to suit your slow cooker if you know thigh usually takes longer in your model.
Often when I cook this casserole I double up the batch and put a pastry crust over it making it into a pie on day two – delicious!
How to make slow cooker chicken casserole
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Add oil to a large, non-stick pan. Turn the heat on your hob up to medium/high.
2. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped carrots and leeks. Cook these on medium/high heat for 3 minutes, or until they begin to brown slightly
3. Then, add the chicken thighs and stir to coat evenly.
4. Cook these for a further 3 minutes on high until they begin to brown a little.
5. Then add in the garlic, paprika, tomato puree, chicken gravy granules and onion powder (or onion granules).
6. Next, pour in the white wine and stir to combine everything.
7. Transfer everything to the slow cooker pan and place the lid on. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6. If you want the sauce thicker once it has cooked, add some more chicken gravy granules and stir until it is the desired thickness.
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- 1 Leek
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Gravy Granules
- 1 Glass White Wine
- 1 Glass Water
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper
- Finely slice the leek and carrots
- Dice the garlic clove
- Add the oil into a frying pan (or if your slow cooker pan is hob safe, add it directly to the slow cooker pan) and turn to medium heat
- Then add the sliced spring onions and carrots and cook for 2 minutes
- Next, add the chicken thighs and garlic and cook for 2 further minutes, or until the chicken begins to turn light brown
- Next, add all of the remaining ingredients
- Stir to combine everything then transfer to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5
- Serve with mashed potatoes and crusty bread (optional) for a perfect winters dinner
I highly recommend following the steps to fry the chicken and vegetables, it develops a deeper flavour and greater texture. If however you are really pressed for time, you can skip this step.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 607 Total Fat 36g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 25g Cholesterol 333mg Sodium 499mg Carbohydrates 12g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 62g