This slow cooker chicken and chickpea curry is so delicious and easy to make. A simple Indian curry which requires very minimal preparation, this is a meal I cook often when I’m in a hurry but craving curry (which is pretty often!).
Flavoured with turmeric and fresh garlic this is a crowd-pleasing curry which is suitable for a mid-week family dinner or to serve when friends are around for a special occasion.
All you need to do to prepare this recipe is put everything in the slow cooker and turn it on – it really couldn’t be easier! Then, once you get home from work, add in the chickpeas and thicken the sauce a little. Recently, I’ve been trying to make all my slow cooker recipes this simple – as I really hate doing too much work in the morning if I can avoid it!
I tend to serve with parathas or naan bread and skip the rice with this one as the chickpeas are so filling.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Chickpea Curry
Scroll down for ingredient card and recipe list.
1. Crush garlic bulbs into the slow cooker pan
2. Then add the chopped coriander
3. And dried spices
4. Then add the boneless, skinless, chicken thighs to the pan. Stir to coat in the spices.
5. Then pour in the water and chicken stock cube, stir to evenly mix everything together then cook for 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low
6. Once cooked, add a tin of drained chickpeas and stir
7. Take 2 tbsp cornflour and mix with 2 tbsp of the slow cooker liquid
8. Mix until it is a smooth paste – this will thicken the curry liquid.
9. Pour the cornflour mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Whilst you stir, break up any large pieces of chicken. Put the lid back on and continue to cook for 15 minutes on high before serving!
- 12 Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Handful Chopped Coriander
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder (Indian)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder (Optional)
- 1 Mug Water
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1x 400ml tin chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- Naan bread, coriander
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs
- Crush the garlic cloves and place into the slow cooker with the curry powder, turmeric, paprika and chilli powder (if using)
- Add the chicken thighs into the mixture and stir to evenly coat
- Next, pour in the water and stock cube
- Mix together until everything is combined
- Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3
- Once cooked, take 3 tbsp liquid from the slow cooker and mix with 2 tbsp cornflour
- Stir through the cornflour mixture, breaking up any large pieces of chicken as you do so
- Drain the chickpeas then add to the curry
- Close the lid and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes
- Then serve! I love to eat this dish with naan bread and some fresh coriander
Add the amount of chilli powder you wish - depending on the spice level you enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 611 Carbohydrates 43g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 14g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 94g