What’s better than an easy dinner, and a curry for tea?! This super simple Indian-style slow cooker chicken is made with chunky peppers, onions and chicken thighs for delicious anytime curry.
When making a slow cooker curry, don’t skip the frying off of the onions and spices, I know it can feel like faf, but it’s a few minutes which make a big difference to the end results. I’d also recommend keeping your peppers and onions quite chunky and thigh fillets whole, so the end result is a curry which is fork tender and melt-in-the-mouth delicious – but still holds a bit of texture, deliciously scooped up with a naan bread or some chapatis.
How to make an Indian-style curry in the slow cooker
Step-by-step photos, scroll down for the full recipe card and ingredient list.
1. Begin by preparing your ingredients, cut the onion and peppers into chunky pieces, measure out the spices, grate the ginger and crush the garlic. Also trim the chicken thighs of any excess fat.
2. Then, heat oil in a pan – or if you have a hob-friendly slow cooker pan – heat the oil in that
3. Next, add in the onion and cook until the edges are turning brown (1-2 minutes), like this:
4. Then, add the chicken and spices, garlic and ginger
5. Stir to combine and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
6. Finally – add in the tinned tomatoes, peppers, chilli, stir to mix it all together, then transfer to the slow cooker
7. Cook on for high for 2-3 hours or low for 3-4 hours
8. Once cooked, stir through the garam masala and fresh coriander, then serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker chicken curry
A delicious Indian-style curry with tender chicken thighs and chunky onion and pepper. Simple and easy!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 500g boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 bell peppers (different colours work nicely)
- 1 chilli (optional)
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to season
- Begin by preparing your ingredients:
- cut the onion and peppers into chunky pieces
- measure out the spices
- grate the ginger and crush the garlic
- remove seeds from the chilli and cut into slices (optional)
- trim the chicken thighs of any excess fat, but keep them whole
- Then, heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat
- Next, add in the onion and cook until the edges are turning brown (1-2 minutes), don't skip this step, having nicely cooked onions really does help flavour the whole meal
- Then, add the chicken and spices, garlic and ginger
- Stir to combine and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Finally – add in the tinned tomatoes, peppers, and chilli, stir to mix it all together, then transfer to the slow cooker
- Cook on for high for 2-3 hours or low for 3-4 hours
- Once the meat is tender and curry cooked, add in the garam masala and fresh coriander - stir to mix through
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 437Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 178mgSodium 876mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 42g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!