Chicken Donburi bowls are my favourite thing to order at Wagamamas. The sweet, sticky chicken is the perfect contrast to the fresh, crisp carrots and peashoots – it feels like a treat, but also healthy at the same time, win-win!
Donburi (丼) is actually a general term for “bowl” in Japanese. It’s also used to refer to rice dishes consisting of fish, meat, vegetables or other ingredients served over rice – this recipe copies Wagamamas serving style – with a teriyaki sauce, grated carrots, sliced spring onions and a generous handful of pea shoots.
This slow cooker donburi bowl recipe is super easy to make in the slow cooker. There’s literally less than 5 minutes prep needed in the morning, and just 3 ingredients for the chicken! Because you don’t need to cook the veggies it’s super easy to serve too, just cook some rice (if its micro-rice you’re in for a super quick dinner!) and serve. I love meals like this.
How To Make Wagamama Donburi Bowls In The Slow Cooker
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Trim chicken thighs of excess fat and place into the slow cooker
2. Add the teriyaki sauce and water to the chicken
3. Stir to cover the chicken
4. Then place the lid on and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4
5. Once cooked, pick out the chicken pieces (discard of the liquid) and pull it apart with two forks. Once pulled apart, add the remaining teriyaki sauce (enough to make it well coated and as saucy as you like) then stir to coat.
6. Fill a bowl with a layer of rice
7. Then add the chicken to the center
8. Top with spring onion
9. Then add the grated carrots and pea shoots – then serve!
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 300g cooked white rice (jasmine or sticky if you have it)
- 1 bag pea shoots
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- Trim the chicken thighs of any excess fat
- Place the chicken thighs into the slow cooker, with 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce and 3 tbsp water
- Cook on low for 6 hours or 4 hours on high
- Once cooked, pick out the pieces of chicken and place into a large bowl/dish. Discard of the liquid.
- Take two forks and shred the chicken, then add the remaining 3 tbsp of teriyaki sauce to the chicken (or as much as you need to get it as saucy as you want) - mix to coat
- Grate the carrot and finely chop the spring onions
- Then serve the shredded chicken on a bed of hot rice, topped with a handful of pea shoots, grated carrot and chopped spring onion
In the supermarket i noticed both teriyaki marinate and sauce - make sure to pick up the sauce (it's thick).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 464 Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 3g Sugar 5g Protein 41g