Chilli con carne is a recipe which was almost MADE for the slow cooker. A few adjustments from my regular stove-top Chilli makes this dinner a regular in my home.
The main difference when I cook this Chilli in the slow cooker is that I use braising steak instead of mince – and to be honest, I 100% prefer it. As the steak is slow cooked it is so tender it falls off the fork.
A rich, tomato spiced sauce filled with steak, beans and veggies – all slow cooked – what’s not to love!
Slow cooker Chilli Con Carne is one of my favourite recipes to feed a crowd. It’s perfect for a dinner party or buffet as it can cook throughout the day as you get on with party prep and entertainment – and it’s an all round favourite which can be served in a big dish with lots of side dishes.
In the summer months I tend to serve my Chilli with avocado, nachos and sour cream – meaning there’s almost zero time needed to serve this dinner up. I do however also love Chilli with chips, rice or garlic bread.
Please join my Facebook group for more slow cooker recipes, hints and tips.
How to make Chilli Con Carne in the Slow Cooker
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Chop the peppers, spring onion and chilli – then also chop the steak, if it isn’t already diced
2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan (or in the slow cooker pan if you have a sizzle to simmer model)
3. Add the steak to the hot oil
4. Fry on medium/high heat until browned (about 5 minutes)
5. Then add the pepper, spring onions, garlic and chilli – fry for 1 minute
6. Then add the dried spices – cook for a further minute 5. Next add the tomato puree
6. Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and salt – stir and bring to simmer
7. Next, add the sweetcorn and black beans8. Stir
9. Then transfer to your slow cooker, place the lid on, and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5
10. Once cooked, take 1 tbsp of sauce, and mix with the cornflour – then pour this back into the slow cooker. This will thicken the sauce
11. Serve – with your favourite Mexican sides
Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne
Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne made with braising steak for a delicious, easy dinner or lunch.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 400g Braising Steak
- 4 Spring Onions
- 2 Garlic cloves (or 1 tbsp lazy garlic)
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100ml Water
- 400g red kidney beans (drained)
- 200g tinned or frozen sweetcorn (drained) or
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
To Serve (Optional)
- Guacamole & Sour Cream
- Nachos, Salad, Wedges, Garlic Bread or Rice.
- Dice the spring onion and pepper, crush the garlic cloves and chop the braising steak into bite sized pieces
- Heat the oil in a large, non stick pan (or, directly in the slow cooker pan if you have a sizzle & simmer model)
- Add the steak to the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, until browning
- Then add the chopped spring onions, pepper and garlic cloves
- Cook for 1 minute, then add in the dried spices
- Cook the dried spices for 30seconds - 1 minute, until the raw smell has disappeared
- Then add in the tomato puree, beef stock, tinned tomatoes, water and kidney beans
- Stir to combine everything
- Then place the contents in the slow cooker, and cook with the lid on for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low
- Once cooked, stir and take a spoonful of the sauce into a bowl. Mix in the cornflour to make a paste, then stir this back through the slow cooker - this will thicken the sauce slightly.
- Serve with your favourite sites!
The sugar is added to contrast the acidity of the tomatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 493Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 98mgSodium 313mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 10gSugar 6gProtein 38g