This slow cooker sausage casserole recipe is one of my all-time favourites. There’s something SO comforting about a sausage casserole, especially when it’s able to slow cook and be ready for you once you get home!
Loved by the whole family, this sausage casserole is flavoured with thyme, paprika, tomatoes and garlic. A rich base of carrots, onion and peppers make the dish feel light, whilst being rich and comforting, too.
I love to serve this recipe with crusty bread and creamy mashed potatoes. You can freeze any leftovers you have, or keep them in the fridge for up to 2 days.
For more slow cooker recipes, click here.
How to make sausage casserole in the slow cooker
Scroll down for full ingredient list and recipe card
1. Peel the carrot and onion. Then slice the carrot, onion and peppers into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add oil to a large, non-stick pan
3. Add in the onions and carrots
4. Cook until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes – stirring often
5. Then transfer to your slow cooker pan
6. To the same pan you cooked the onions and carrots in, add in the sausages. You want to brown the sausages on each side – which usually takes 2 mins a side. Make sure to brown them as much as you like as they won’t get any browner once transferred to the slow cooker.
7. Once browned, crush in the garlic gloves
8. Then add in the sugar, salt, thyme, paprika, tomato puree and chicken stock cube
9. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, and 100ml of water. 100ml of water is one quarter (1/4) of the tin, so I tend to just use the tin to measure this out
10. Stir all together
11. Then transfer to the slow cooker, and add in the earlier chopped peppers
12. Turn the slow cooker to high for 3 hours, or low for 6 – then serve!
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
A delicious, tasty sausage casserole made in the slow cooker. A meal the whole family can enjoy - packed with peppers, carrots and tomatoes.
- 8-12 Sausages
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Peppers
- 2 Carrots
- 1x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml water
- Cut the onion and peppers into slices
- Peel the carrot, then cut into slices, too
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add in the onions and carrots on medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often until the onions are browned (see pictures above)
- Then, transfer the cooked carrots and onions to the slow cooker dish
- Add the sausages to the hot pan (the same pan you cooked the carrots and onions in) and cook for 5 minutes, turning often until each side is browned. Make sure you brown them as much as you need, as they won't get any browner in the slow cooker
- Once they're browned, add all of the remaining ingredients (crushed garlic, paprika, thyme, tomato puree, salt, sugar, stock cube, 100ml water, 400ml tinned chopped tomatoes)
- Stir to combine everything and make sure your stock cube has dissolved/been stirred through
- Then transfer all of this to the slow cooker
- Add in the chopped peppers
- Turn the slow cooker to high for 3 hours, or low for 6
- Then, it's ready to serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 515Carbohydrates 19gFiber 4gSugar 11gProtein 28g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!
This sausage casserole tastes amazing and is so easy to make! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Helen! 😊
Lovely casserole… have made it twice now
Have used this recipe several times, goes down a treat with all the family. Sometimes add a handful of sliced mushrooms.