After hours in the slow cooker, this sticky hoisin beef is tender and falling apart.
The rich hoisin sauce is sticky, thick and even better the day after. I’d recommend doubling up and cooking this for a couple of evenings (or amazing packed lunch leftovers!)
This meal feels much fancier than it is – it takes very little time to prepare, and if you’re in a rush, you could skip frying the onions and beef (although i’d recommend you do this step if you have 5 minutes!)
With minimal prep needed, this is a meal which is easy and impressive – my husband requests this meal at least once a week.
Made with braising beef it’s a cheap meal – which feels like a fancy steak dinner!
How to make Sticky Slow Cooker Hoisin Beef
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan (my slow cooker is a simmer & serve model so I can put my pan directly on the hob).
2. Add onions and beef to the hot oil
3. Cook, stirring often, until the onions begin to turn clear and the beef brown slightly (about 2-3 minutes)
4. Then add the flour
5. And stir to coat – then cook for a further 1 minute (this will result in a thicker sauce at the end of cooking)
6. Then transfer the beef and onions to your slow cooker
7. Add the sauce ingredients
8. Then mix and cook on low for 6-8 hours
9. Then serve with sides of your choice, topped with fresh spring onion
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion
- About 500g Braising Steak (Enough pieces for 4 people)
- 1 Tsp Flour
For the Sauce:
- 1 Tsp Lazy Ginger
- 1 Tsp Lazy Garlic
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 5 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 5 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Sweet Chilli Sauce (optional)
To serve (Optional)
- Fresh spring onion
- Chips, rice or salad
- In a large, non-stick pan heat oil
- Then add the onion and braising steaks
- Cook for 3 minutes, turning often, until the onions are turning clear and the steak beginning to brown
- Add the flour to the beef and onions, stir and cook for a further 1 minute
- Then transfer to your slow cooker
- Add the sauce ingredients + mix
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (depending on your slow cooker)
- Serve topped with fresh spring onion and rice or chips
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 428 Total Fat: 25g Trans Fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Protein: 34g