This Slow Cooker Teryaki Chicken Thighs recipe is SO good. Succulent, juicy thighs in a rich and sticky teriyaki sauce.
This meal is ideal as a mid-week treat, weekend fake-away or dinner party show-stopper. Seriously, it’s THAT good!
I tend to serve this teriyaki chicken on a bed of rice scattered with crunchy spring onions for a bit of bite. The sauce is thick, flavoured with honey, garlic and mirin for a take-away style flavour.
I recommend you take the minutes to fry the chicken and onions before slow cooking – it really does help to develop the flavours. But, if you’re pressed for time you can skip this step.
How to Make Sticky Teryaki Chicken Thighs In The Slow Cooker:
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Mix together the sauce ingredients
2. If you have a sizzle to simmer slow cooker pot, then add this directly to your hob. If you’re unsure if your slow cooker pot can go on the hob – use a non-stick pan here.
Add the oil to the pan and turn the heat to medium/high
3. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes
4. Then add the chicken thighs and cook for a couple of minutes each side, until they begin to brown slightly
5. Then add the flour
6. Stir to coat the chicken in the flour, and cook for a couple of minutes more to cook the flour
7. Place the slow cooker pan back in the slow cooker (or if you used a pan here, pour the contents into your slow cooker pan) – then pour in the sauce you made earlier
8. Stir to coat the chicken
9. Then close the lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours (depending on your slow cooker)
10. When it’s cooked it should look like this:
11. Stir to mix the sauce together
12. Take a spoonful of sauce and add it to a bowl
13. Then add a heaped tablespoon of cornflour
14. Mix to make a paste
15. Pour the paste into the sauce – then stir to combine – this will thicken the sauce – ready to serve. As the dish cools, it will become even thicker.
Slow Cooker Sticky Teriyaki Chicken
- 4 Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Plain Flour
For The Sauce
- 8 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce (120ml)
- 8 Tbsp Mirin (120ml)
- 4 Tbsp Water (60ml)
- 1 Tsp Lazy Ginger
- 1 Tsp Lazy Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour (Optional)
To Serve (Optional)
- Chopped spring onions
- Slice the onion into equal strips
- Add the oil into a frying pan (or if your slow cooker pan is hob safe, add it directly to the slow cooker pan)
- Heat the oil then add the sliced onion and chicken thighs
- Cook on high for 3 minutes, stirring often, so sear the chicken thighs
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat
- Cook for a further 1 minute, then turn off the hob
- Transfer the chicken and onion into your slow cooker pan (or place the slow cooker pan back into your slow cooker, if used)
- Pour in all the sauce ingredients
- Stir to coat the chicken
- Place the chicken skin side up
- Close the lid and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours on low setting, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thick
- Once cooked, shred the thicken thighs with a fork and thicken sauce with cornflour (if needed - see image above)
- Serve with chopped spring onion and white rice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 398Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 166mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 35g