This Slow Cooker Teryaki Chicken Thighs recipe is SO good. Succulent, juicy thighs in a rich and sticky teriyaki sauce.
This meal is ideal as a mid-week treat, weekend fake-away or dinner party show-stopper. Seriously, it’s THAT good!
I tend to serve this teriyaki chicken on a bed of rice scattered with crunchy spring onions for a bit of bite. The sauce is thick, flavoured with honey, garlic and mirin for a take-away style flavour.
I recommend you take the minutes to fry the chicken and onions before slow cooking – it really does help to develop the flavours. But, if you’re pressed for time you can skip this step.
How to Make Sticky Teryaki Chicken Thighs In The Slow Cooker:
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Mix together the sauce ingredients
2. If you have a sizzle to simmer slow cooker pot, then add this directly to your hob. If you’re unsure if your slow cooker pot can go on the hob – use a non-stick pan here.
Add the oil to the pan and turn the heat to medium/high
3. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes
4. Then add the chicken thighs and cook for a couple of minutes each side, until they begin to brown slightly
5. Then add the flour
6. Stir to coat the chicken in the flour, and cook for a couple of minutes more to cook the flour
7. Place the slow cooker pan back in the slow cooker (or if you used a pan here, pour the contents into your slow cooker pan) – then pour in the sauce you made earlier
8. Stir to coat the chicken
9. Then close the lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours (depending on your slow cooker)
10. When it’s cooked it should look like this:
11. Stir to mix the sauce together
12. Take a spoonful of sauce and add it to a bowl
13. Then add a heaped tablespoon of cornflour
14. Mix to make a paste
15. Pour the paste into the sauce – then stir to combine – this will thicken the sauce – ready to serve. As the dish cools, it will become even thicker.
- 4 Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Plain Flour
For The Sauce
- 8 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce (120ml)
- 8 Tbsp Mirin (120ml)
- 4 Tbsp Water (60ml)
- 1 Tsp Lazy Ginger
- 1 Tsp Lazy Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour (Optional)
To Serve (Optional)
- Chopped spring onions
- Slice the onion into equal strips
- Add the oil into a frying pan (or if your slow cooker pan is hob safe, add it directly to the slow cooker pan)
- Heat the oil then add the sliced onion and chicken thighs
- Cook on high for 3 minutes, stirring often, so sear the chicken thighs
- Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat
- Cook for a further 1 minute, then turn off the hob
- Transfer the chicken and onion into your slow cooker pan (or place the slow cooker pan back into your slow cooker, if used)
- Pour in all the sauce ingredients
- Stir to coat the chicken
- Place the chicken skin side up
- Close the lid and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours on low setting, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thick
- Once cooked, shred the thicken thighs with a fork and thicken sauce with cornflour (if needed - see image above)
- Serve with chopped spring onion and white rice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 398 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 166mg Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 1g Sugar 10g Protein 35g