This spicy rice recipe is made with fresh chillis and garlic for a delicious side dish which pairs great with most meals.
You can make this rice as spicy as you like by adding more or less chillis – and keeping the seeds in depending on your tastes or the dish you’re serving it alongside.
This is my go-to rice recipe when making chicken tikka or chilli paneer. Garlic and chilli are two of my favourite flavours and this spicy rice is the perfect blend of the two.
The method below is how to cook this spicy rice on the hob – if you have a rice cooker you can follow the same steps but place everything into the rice cooker once you’ve fried off the chilli and garlic.
This recipe can easily be doubled or halved depending on how many people you’re cooking for.
How to make spicy rice
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Place your chillis and garlic cloves on a chopping board
2. Deseed and chop the chillis – crush the garlic
3. Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan which has a lid
4. Then add the chilli and garlic
5. Cook for 2 minutes
6. Then add in the rice and water
7. Bring to a low simmer
8. Then place the lid on the pan and transfer the pan to a small ring and turn the heat down to the lowest possible
9. Cook for 18 minutes on low. Then remove the lid and turn off the heat
10. Use a spoon to stir the rice
11. Then place the lid back on and leave covered for 5 minutes to steam
- 2 Fresh Chillis (See Notes)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Cup White Basmati Rice
- 1.5 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Finely dice and de-seed the chilli. Hold back some chilli seeds if you want your rice to be spicier
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves
- To a large, non-stick pan add 1 tbsp oil and heat to medium
- Then add the chilli and garlic
- Fry for 2 minutes, stirring throughout
- Then add the rice and water to the pan
- Stir to evenly spread the chillis through the rice
- Bring the water to a low simmer place a lid tightly on the pan.
- Turn down the heat to its lowest setting and simmer the rice for 15 minutes
- After the 15 minutes, turn off the hob (keeping the lid on the rice) and allow the rice to steam in the pan for a final 5 minutes)
- Stir once to fluff up then serve!
Chose chillis to suit your dish and tastes. Larger chillis tend to be less spicy whilst small finger chillis are very spicy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 254 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 4mg Carbohydrates 12g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Protein 1g