This cauliflower tikka masala is the ultimate comfort meal – inspired by takeaway-style masala sauce, deliciously light roasted cauliflower is smothered in a thick, rich masala sauce made from almonds and tomato. Whether you’re hosting for friends or after a mid-week treat, give this recipe a go!
I tend to serve this cauliflower curry with simple basmati rice and naan bread to mop up the delicious sauce!
This recipe is naturally vegan and mild on the spice level, making it suitable for any dinner guests you have around. I love making the cauliflower in the air fryer, I have a ninja 2 in 1, and find it cooks it perfectly, and always buy ready chopped frozen florets for ease, if you’d prefer to use a fresh, unfrozen cauliflower you can – just adjust the cooking times slightly.
How to make a Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala
1. Begin by tossing the cauliflower in the oil and tandoori seasoning
2.Then, either cook it in your pre-heated 200C oven for about 25 minutes, or in your air fryer for 15-20
3. Then, whilst that’s cooking – start preparing the sauce by roughly chopping an onion and a red pepper
4. Then, heat the oil in a large saucepan
5. Add in the onion, and cook on a medium temp for about 5 minutes, stirring often – until your onions begin to brown – like this:
6. Then, add in the pepper, garlic and ginger
7. Cook that for a couple of minutes, until the garlic and ginger is fragrant
8. Next, add in the spices and tomato puree – stir and cook for a further minute
9. Then, pour in the coconut milk, tomato soup and ground almonds
10. Stir to combine then bring to a low simmer – cook for a couple more minutes – then it’s done!
11. Finally, allow the sauce to cool down a little, then blend until smooth using your blender or immersion blender
12. Once the cauliflower is cooked, add to the smooth sauce – then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
- Frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp tandoori or tikka seasoning
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 200ml Heinz plant based creamy tomato soup (or, normal cream of tomato soup if you're not making this recipe vegan)
- 200g Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Salt
- Begin by preparing the cauliflower, if using frozen florets simply toss in the oil and seasoning, then cook in the oven at 200C for about 25 minutes, or until cooked - or, use your air fryer. Whilst its cooking - continue with the below, once the cauliflower has cooked remove from the oven and set aside
- Roughly chop the onion and pepper
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan
- Add in the onion, stir and cook for 3 minutes on a low/medium heat
- Then add in the garlic paste and tomato puree – stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes (be careful, garlic paste often splutters)
- Next, add in the pepper pieces and dried spices (turmeric, cumin and paprika) – stir to coat and cook for 1 min
- Add in the sugar, tomato soup and coconut milk- stir to combine and bring to a simmer
- Then add in the tomato ketchup and ground almonds, stir to mix through
- Turn off the heat, allow to cool slightly then blend to a smooth sauce in your blender (or use an immersion blender)
- Once the sauce is smooth, return it to the pan - the sauce is ready!
- Once the cauliflower is cooked - add it to the sauce, bring the sauce to simmer until warmed through – then serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 597Total Fat 49gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 22gCholesterol 20mgSodium 1907mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 11gSugar 18gProtein 15g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!