Looking for a simple, comforting dinner recipe? Give this cheesy tomato sausage pasta a go! It’s quick and easy to make – taking under 30 minutes to make your sauce from scratch, and you likely have most of the ingredients already in.
This sausage pasta is one we have often, it makes for a lovely lunch, dinner and leftovers the next day (if there’s any left!)
Use your favourite sausages to make it a comforting dish the whole family can enjoy.
How to make a simple sausage pasta
Scroll down for the ingredient card and full printable recipe
1. Begin by dicing an onion (or keeping chunky if you prefer) and grating the cheddar
2. On one hob, bring water to a boil (this will be for the pasta) – once the water is boiling, add in the pasta and cook as per packet instructions (keep an eye on it throughout the time you’re cooking the sausage and sauce).
Then, on another hob, heat oil in a large frying pan to medium/high heat and add the sausages.
3. Once the sausages are cooked on one side, turn them over, and add in the diced onion – fry the sausages and onion in the oil and continue to cook – stirring the sausages until they’re browned on each side and the onions are turning golden
4. Then, add in the garlic and herbs – stir and cook for a minute, giving the garlic a chance to cook a little
5. Next, add in the tinned tomatoes and sugar – stir
6. Then, finally add in the grated cheese
7. Stir the cheese through the sauce until melted
9. Optional – once the sauce and sausages are cooked, I tend to cut them into bite-sized pieces to make the whole dish easier to eat. I use kitchen scissors to do this but you could transfer to a cutting board if you don’t have scissors.
10. At this point, the pasta will likely be cooked – if not, turn the sauce down until the pasta is cooked. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and transfer it into the sausage sauce pan – stir – then you’re done! Season with any salt and pepper you’d like and serve
- Pasta - enough for 4 servings (or, as many people are eating)
- 1 Onion
- 60g Cheddar
- 1 pack Sausages (your favourite but I tend to use chipolatas)
- 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Garlic Puree (or 2 fresh cloves, crushed)
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Begin by preparing your ingredients - dice the onion, grate the cheese and peel and crush the garlic clove if you're using fresh
- Next, bring a pan of salted water to boil and cook the pasta as per packet instructions - turn the heat off once cooked.
- Meanwhile, as the pasta is cooking, heat another large frying pan with oil - add in the sausages and cook on one side until golden brown
- Then, turn the sausages to cook on another side and add in the diced onion - cook, stirring often until the sausages are browned all over (or to your liking) and the onions are golden brown and cooked too.
- Next, add in the garlic and Italian seasoning - stir and cook for 1 minute
- Then, add in the tinned tomatoes and sugar - stir and bring to a simmer
- Finally, stir in the grated cheese until melted and combined
- Optional - cut the cooked sausage into bite-sized pieces (easiest using kitchen scissors)
- Finally, add in the cooked, drained pasta to the sauce you've just made - season with any salt and pepper you'd like - then serve and enjoy!
If your onions cook before your sausages are browned enough - remove them from the pan and place on a plate until you're sausages are cooked, then return the sausages to the pan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 25mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 14g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!