Chill chicken is a popular Indian-Chinese meal. It’s usually made with battered chicken, and rich thick garlic chilli gravy – for this recipe I don’t batter the chicken to make it healthier, and easier to cook at home. The sauce reminds me a little bit of a sweet and sour, it’s very thick and sticky – but instead of being sweet it’s savoury and spicy with lots of garlic – yum!
Thankfully, you’ll likely have most of these ingredients in your cupboard and fridge at home, and it’s a simple one-pan dish which can be made in under half an hour!
I typically serve this dish with rice, or chips – depending on my mood. I know its also popular with noodles when served in a restaurant – so pair it with whichever sides you prefer!
You can, of course, make this dish as spicy or as mild as you like – I tend to use one de-seeded chilli and my favourite Healthyboy sweet chilli sauce, for a mild/medium heat, if you prefer your food spicy keep some of the seeds in the chilli or add more!
How to make Chilli Chicken at home
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list
1. Chop the chicken into small strips (remove any access fat), and chop the peppers and onions into equal-sized pieces. Finely slice and de-seed the chilli
2. Add oil into hot pan
3. Add the sliced chicken into the pan and cook on high for 1 min
4. Then add in the garlic paste
5. Stir to coat the chicken and cook on a medium/high heat for 5 mins until the chicken is beginning to brown
6. Next, add in the onions and stir to coat with the garlic flavour
7. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent and a little browned on the edges
8. Add in the chillis and peppers, stir and cook for 2 mins
9. Whilst this is cooking, take2 tbsp of cornflour and place into a cup
10. To this, add a small amount of COLD water
11. Then, add 200ml water to this
12. Pour this cornflour water into the chicken pepper mixture
13. Stir, then add in the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato puree and sugar
14. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often until the sauce thickens to your liking – cook for about 5 minutes more
15. Then serve!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 onion
- 1 chilli
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- Slice the chicken into small strips - remove any excess fat
- De-seed the chilli and slice into thin slices
- Chop the onion and peppers into bite-sized chunks
- Next, add oil into a non-stick pan and turn heat to high
- Tip in the sliced chicken and cook for 1 minute
- Next, add in the garlic paste and reduce the heat slightly (to medium-hot) be careful if the garlic paste splashes
- Stir to coat the chicken and cook on a medium/high heat for 5 mins until the chicken is beginning to brown
- Next, add in the onions and stir to coat with the garlic flavour
- Cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the onions begin to turn translucent and a little browned on the edges
- Next, add in the chillis and peppers, stir and cook for 2 mins
- Whilst this is cooking, take the 2 tbsp of cornflour and place into a cup, then mix in a couple of tbsp of cold water and stir to make a paste. To this, add 200ml of water and mix to make a cloudy cornflour water
- Pour this cornflour water into the pan and stir immediately to mix with the flavours in the pan
- The temperature of the pan should bring the liquid to boil
- Add in the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato puree and sugar
- Stir and cook, for about 5 minutes - until the sauce has thickened to your liking stirring and everything is cooked through
- Then serve - I like to eat this chilli chicken with chips or rice
- If your sauce doesn't thicken enough - mix together another tbsp of cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water and pour this in.
- If you don't have enough sauce, add more water.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 185mgSodium 1758mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 40g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!