Caribbean rice and peas is super easy to make and so delicious.
The coconut brown rice is jam packed with black beans, spring onions and thyme for a subtly delicious rice – perfect for pairing with curries and stews.
There are lots of rice and peas recipes floating around – but this is my version. Over the years i’ve tried many different methods to make this dish and this is my favourite.
With brown basmati, the rice has a nice bite and rich, almost nutty flavour. I choose to chop and add a scotch bonnet to my rice – but this is of course optional.
Rice dishes like rice and peas really take a good dinner to an amazing one. Pairing a curry with the perfect rice side, rather than bland plain rice, makes all the difference.
How To Make Easy Rice And Peas On The Stovetop/Hob
Scroll down for recipe card and ingredient list.
1. Rinse the rice as per packet instructions
2. Add all ingredients to a large pan
3. Turn the heat up and bring to boil
4. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and put a lid on the pan
5. Cook the rice on LOW for 30 minutes – stirring halfway through
6. After 30 minutes, the rice should be cooked and fluffy with no remaining liquid. Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy!
- 200g Brown Basmati Rice, (rinsed and washed)
- 400ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 Sprig Thyme
- 400ml Tin Black Beans, (drained, but not rinsed)
- 1 Red Chilli, (preferably scotch bonnet, but use what you have)
- 3 Chopped Spring Onions
- 150ml Water
- Start by chopping your spring onion and chilli - and rinsing your rise following the instructions on the packet.
- Add ALL ingredients to a large pan
- Bring the pan to boil, then reduce the heat to lowest possible - cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Check the rice after 15 minutes and give a quick stir - return the lid and continue to cook for the remaining 15 minutes.
- Check back after 30 minutes - the rice should be fluffy and cooked.
- Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy!