Here’s my recipe for Nando’s style spicy rice. Tasty, mildy spicy rice which you can cook at home! The Portuguese restaurant’s popular side dish is made using fluffy rice, turmeric and cumin.
This rice has onions, peppers and peas in it – it’s perfect paired with chicken!
One of the benefits of making this at home (despite it honestly being BETTER than Nandos rice) is you can cook as much as you like! I tend to cook a large pan full and then eat it throughout the week with different dishes. It works great with chicken, fish, or just about any meat.
It’s a crowd pleaser I often cook when I have friends round. I also often cook this Indian spicy rice recipe if I want to change things up a little too.
Next time you’re craving Nando’s spicy rice, but want to save some cash, and eat it on your sofa, give this recipe a go:
How to Make Nandos Rice At Home:
1. Chop the onion and pepper into small pieces
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick pan
3. Add onions and peppers and cook for a few minutes
4. Add spice mixture
5. Stir to coat the onions and peppers and cook for a few moments
6. Add the rice, water and chicken stock
7. Bring mixture to boil
8. Then add peas and reduce the heat to as low as possible
9. Cover with a lid and cook on very low for around 30 minutes (or until rice is cooked)
10. Mix a few times throughout the cooking time to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
(Better than) Nando's Rice
Delicious Nando's style portuguese rice. Made with paprika, turmeric and cumin for a delicious home-cooked dish.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 225g white rice
- 500g water
- 1 chicken stock cube, (You could use vegetable stock instead)
- 120g peas
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1/2 red pepper (diced)
- Fry pepper and onion in heated oil for 2 minutes; stirring constantly
- Add dried spices to the pan and cook for further 1 minute (Add more oil if the mixture is dry)
- Add rice, water and chicken stock to the hot pan
- Bring mixture to boil, then immediately turn the heat to lowest possible and add the frozen peas (move to a smaller hob if needed)
- Cover with lid and cook for around 30 minutes (until cooked). Mix the rice regularly and re-cover with the lid to ensure the rice doesn't stick.
- Once completely cooked, stir and serve
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 226Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1.6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 304mgCarbohydrates 33.9gFiber 4.4gSugar 5.3gProtein 5.4g
This really is better than Nando’s rice! I’m so happy I’m able to make such a tasty rice quickly and confidently at home – thank you!
Very tasty. Really easy to make.
Loved it!! Thank you
What is half a cupful in grams please? I like in the UK and we don’t measure in cups. Thank you x
Hi Sara, it depend which ingredient re: how much half a cup is – a quick google will give you exacts 🙂
But as the recipe works off ratios, you could also just use half a mug for half a cup, and a mug for a full ‘cup’. If this makes sense!
Hi Helen, I’m a bit confused with step 3 and 4. Step 3 you say add rice, water ext and turn off heat. Then step 4 bring to boil. Could you explain please. Looking forward to making this. Thanks. Anne
Hi Anne! Sorry, updated! Don’t turn off the heat at that point 🙂 just bring to the boil then turn down once it reaches boil 🙂
Thanks for this easy and yummy recipe. Tried it today and it was super!!!
I usually use a ratio of 1:2 rice to water, so I have had to add more water than recipe shows. But it is very tasty!
Turned out better than Nando’s! Thank you 😊
So glad you enjoyed it Shabs 😀
Make this all the time now! Thanks love it
This was AMAZING!!! I pan fried chicken strips with the onions & spices.
I also added Nandos sauce to the dish at the end for extra flavor.
This was delicious. My wife is a bit of a Nando’s officianado and she loved this rice!!! Thanks for the recipe! 👍
Hi there, great recipe, my only change would be to add the peas 5 mins before end as I like them to be green still.
Very tasty went a bit daft in chilli flakes so it was very spicy but still delicious x
We are total carnivores in this house and I made this dish to go with our BBQ. Despite a selection of delicious meats on the table, my son (who worked for Nando’s for a few years!) agreed the rice was the star of the show! We all loved it and it was so easy. It will be on the menu often. Thankyou xx
This has become one of my go-to recipes for rice. Really easy, tasty and takes no time at all.
I am absolutely in love with this ! I usually add a few of my own touches to every recipe but this was spot on !!
So so good – my whole family loved it
Hi, can I make this in a rice cooker? Do I just throw everything in?
I haven’t tried it myself but think it’d work out, let me know how it goes if you do try it in the rice cooker 🙂
I did made it, ☺️, thank u.