This Actifry Chow Mein is the perfect mid-week treat. The takeaway classic is easy to make, and comes in at under 500 calories per portion!
This Chicken Chow Mein is the style usually served in UK Chinese restaurants and takeaways – made simply with soy, garlic, beansprouts and egg noodles.
Making take-away favourites in the Actifry, such as this chicken chow mein, salt and pepper chips or even crispy chilli beef is a great way to enjoy treat meals without any hidden ingredients or excessive oil.
You need to use ‘fresh’ egg noodles (found in the fridge section of the salad/veg aisle normally, you’ll also find beansprouts here, too). You can easily switch out the chicken for beef or any veggies you fancy, too.
How to make chicken chow mein in the Actifry
Scroll down for recipe card and full printable ingredient list
1. Begin by crushing 2 garlic cloves into a bowl
2. Then, mix in 1 tbsp dark soy sauce and 1 tbsp light soy sauce
3. Then, finely chop 2-3 chicken breasts and 1 onion
4. Add the onion and chicken into the soy garlic mixture – stir to evenly coat
5. Then, transfer this into the Actifry, and drizzle in 1 tbsp oil
6. Then, close the lid and cook for 10 minutes
7. After 10 mins, add in a handful of beansprouts, the noodles, 2 tbsp of light soy sauce and 1 tbsp of dark soy
8. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes – then it’s ready to serve! Check the chicken is cooked (when it’s white throughout)
Actifry Chicken Chow Mein
Classic take-away style chicken chow mein made easily in the Actifry
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 300g Egg Noodles
- 1 Handful beansprouts
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
To Serve Optional)
- 2 spring onions
- Start by chopping the chicken into thin pieces, and then finely chop the onion, and crush the garlic
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, and 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Add the onion and chicken into the soy and garlic mixture
- Transfer into the Actifry paddle in) and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil
- Cook for 8 minutes
- Then, add in a handful of beansprouts, the noodles, 2 tbsp of dark soy, and 2 tbsp light soy
- Turn the Actifry on to cook for a further 5 minutes
- Now, it's ready to serve! Top with chopped spring onion - optional)
There is a difference between dark and light soy - I highly recommend you use both in this recipe.
Before serving cut the largest piece of chicken - it should be white throughout.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 125mgSodium 2504mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 45g
Nutritional data provided here is only an estimate. If you're tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!
Love these recipes.Just bought an actifry genius 2 in 1 and would like to use it as much as possible
Just tried the chicken chow mien and it’s gorgeous. I’d just bought a new ActiFry as my old one was “””old”””” so basically it’s roast potatoes and chips as we are just an elderly couple and I use it for quickness as a rule but luckily I saw the. Hint of Helen. Page with the picture of the chow mein on and it looked so easy I just had to try it. So glad I did Thankyou. Going to start on other recipes now lol