How To Make Takeaway Style Chicken Tikka Masala At Home:
- Make sure you have a batch of curry base sauce already prepared and to hand for this recipe:
- Marinate chicken pieces in Patak’s Tandoori Spice Marinate
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan and add the chicken pieces – fry until cooked through. (if you’d rather, you could alternatively grill the chicken)
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the heat and set aside on some kitchen roll to pat dry of any access oil
- In a large, non stick pan, add the oil, then once hot, add the base curry gravy – be careful because it will splash and splutter.
- Then add the dry spices to the mixture
- Stir to combine
- Add all other ingredients to the mixture:
- Stir to combine, then if using, add the red food coloring to the pan (Start with a little, then add more to get the colour you want)
- Keep stirring to combine the color and the sauce, until you get the colour you want
- Add the earlier cooked chicken pieces to the sauce, stir and continue to heat until the chicken is hot throughout
- Remove from the heat and serve
- 1 tbsp Pataks Tandoori Paste
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Diced)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- 1 pint Base Sauce (See Recipe Notes)
- 100g Creamed Coconut
- 2 tbsp Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Clear Honey
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 175ml tin Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Red Food Colouring optional - but if you want that 'restaurant' color, i'd recommend to add
- 4 breasts chopped chicken breast
- Marinate the chicken in the pats tandoori paste for 20 minutes, then cook - either fry or grill until white throughout - then set aside whilst you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan until very hot. Slowly add the base sauce, it will spatter at first so be careful.
- Bring to boil and add the salt, paprika, chlli and food colouring, cooking for around 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the pre-cooked chicken tikka pieces, simmer for a further 2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with rice and naan, and sprinkle with a little fresh coriander to serve.
Base Curry Recipe: https://hintofhelen.com/curry-base-gravy/