Cashew Chicken is a popular Chinese takeaway dish. Here i’ve created a slightly different version – a tasty recipe which is simple and easy to follow, even if you’re not very confident in the kitchen!
It’s a healthy dinner, with fresh spinach, lean chicken breasts and cashew nuts as the core ingredients.
You’ll notice the difference in this fresh, home-prepared Chinese dish, rather than the heavy Chinese food you’d get from a takeaway.
If you’re looking for more Chinese takeaway recipes, check out my Salt & Pepper chips and Crispy Shredded Beef recipes.
How to make Healthier Cashew Chicken at home:
Scroll down for recipe and ingredient list.
1. Chop the chicken breast and onion – mince the garlic – and add all to a large dish.
2. To the dish, add the soy sauce and cornflour
3. Mix to evenly coat
4. Cover, and place in the fridge for 30 mins – 2 hours, to marinate
5. Once marinated, remove the chicken and onions from the fridge
6. Heat oil in a large wok
7. Then add the cashew nuts
8. And stir fry the cashew nuts for 2 minutes – stirring constantly
7. After 2 minutes, add the chicken and onions to the cashew nuts – stir fry for 5 minutes
8. Then add 5 tbsp water, stir and continue to cook for 3 minutes
9. Add the spinach to the pan, stir to incorporate – and cook until reduced down
10. By now, you’ll have a thick sauce and reduced spinach – check the chicken is cooked through – then it’s ready to serve!
11. Serve alongside rice or noodles for a healthy, quick, Chinese fake-away!
Chinese Cashew Chicken
A delicious, Chinese inspired recipe for Cashew Chicken. Made healthy with lean chicken and fresh spinach.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 8 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 5 Tbsp Water
- 120g Cashew Nuts
- 2 Handfuls Spinach Leaves
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces
- Add the onions, garlic and chicken to a large bowl
- To the bowl, add the cornflour and soy-sauce and stir to evenly coat the chicken and onions
- Cover the bowl and set in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes (ideally 2 hours) to marinate
- After the chicken has marinated, add the oil to a wok
- Add the cashew nuts to the wok and stir fry for 2 minutes
- Then add the chicken and onions, stir fry for a further 5 minutes
- Then add the water, mix and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Add the spinach to the wok, stir and cook until the spinach reduces down - about 2 minutes
- The chicken should now be cooked through, the sauce thickened, and spinach cooked - serve alongside noodles or rice
If you have little sauce when cooking - add a little more water. It seems dry at first, but by step 10 you'll have quite a bit of sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 406Carbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 46g