Salt and pepper chips are one of my favorite things to get at a Chinese takeaway. Here’s a quick and easy way to make the delicious side dish at home, using oven chips and fresh chilli.
I worked in a Chinese restaurant a few years ago; and this was our most popular side dish, unsurprisingly as Salt and pepper chips are the best.
It’s so simple and quick to make, and the result is really worth the extra effort you put in. The pepper in this case is chilli peppers; and the salt is chunky sea salt.
This recipe uses frozen, oven chips so there is minimal work involved, and that’s the type of chips which are used at my local; however you can use homemade chips or fries too.
The chips are midly spicy, and loaded with salty flavour. YUMMMMY!
How to make salt and pepper chips at home:
1. Cook the chips as per packet instructions. Mine took 40 minutes in the air fryer.
2. Whilst the chips are cooking, chop the chilli and onion into small pieces:
3. Once the chips are cooked, remove from the heat and place aside. Heat oil in a large pan, and fry the onion and chilli in medium heat:
4. Once your onions begin to caramelise, add the spice mix, stir to coat the chilli and onion, and fry for a further minute:
5. Add the cooked chips to the pan, turn off the heat, and stir to coat the chips with the spices, chilli and onion:
6. Serve and enjoy:
I used 'Morrisons The Best Chunky Chips' in this recipe, they're my favorite chunky frozen chips - the packet is huge too 🙂 As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 469 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 51mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 21g
I used 'Morrisons The Best Chunky Chips' in this recipe, they're my favorite chunky frozen chips - the packet is huge too 🙂
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Follow me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/hintofhelen) to be entered into my Actifry Giveaway competition !