When working in a Chinese restaurant, our most popular dish was Salt and Pepper chicken and for good reason – it’s delicious! Wok fried spices and vegetables are mixed with battered chicken breast to create the ultimate combination of salt, spice and crunch.
Salt and Pepper chicken is one of the nicest fried chicken dishes ever – and a close second in my opinion is Fried Chicken with KFC Style Gravy – although both dishes are so different.
The main thing which makes Salt & Pepper chicken amazing is the blend of fresh and tangy vegetables – from peppers, to spring onions and chilli – there’s a whole lot of flavour!
I love this recipe when its first cooked, served hot on a bed of rice for the ultimate fakeaway. It also works so well in a packed lunch the next day (your work colleagues will be very jealous!).
Here’s a recipe of how to make Salt and Pepper chicken at home feel free to adjust the spices to suit your needs; if you want it to be super spicy or salty; just add a little more, there are no rules when cooking at home!
How to Make Salt & Pepper Chicken
Scroll down for recipe card & ingredient list
1. Slice the chicken breast into bite sized pieces
2. Coat the chicken in seasoning and cornflour
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan
4. Then add the coated chicken – it should bubble around the chicken pieces
5. Cook, turning a couple of times, until browned on each side
6. Remove the chicken from the oil once cooked, and set aside on a piece of kitchen towel to soak up any access oil
7. In a different non-stick pan, heat a small amount of oil
8. Then add the onions and peppers, and chillis if using
9. Fry on a medium heat for a minute, then add the seasoning
10. Stir, and cook for a further few minute
11. Then add the chicken pieces, stir and cook for a few minutes to coat the chicken and ensure its piping hot before serving
Got a salt and pepper craving? Take a look at my favourite recipe for Salt and Pepper Chips.
- 4 diced chicken breasts
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 cup cornflour
- 2 diced onions
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced and de-deseeded green chilli
- 1 bunch of spring onions, diced
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, (optional, depends how spicy you like it)
Marinating the chicken
- Dice chicken into even pieces, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp Chinese five spice and1 tbsp black pepper
- Rub the spices into the chicken to evenly coat the chicken
- Set aside while you chop and prepare the vegetables
Preparing the vegetables
- Finely dice the onions, red pepper, green chilli and spring onions, and set aside
Battering the chicken
- Tip out 1 cup of cornflour onto a large, flat plate
- Add the marinated chicken to the plate of cornflour, and toss/move around with your hands until it is all evenly coated
- Do not let the coated batter sit too long before the next step or the moisture of the chicken will soak up the cornflour
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a large pan, until a little cornflour sprinkled in bubbles upon contact
- Add the coated chicken to the pan, and cook until the underside turns light brown
- Stir the chicken to brown the other side, and cook for a further 10 minutes; or until the chicken is cooked through and brown and crispy on the outside
- Remove the chicken from the oil using a slotted spoon, and set aside on a pice of kitchen roll to soak up a little oil.
- To the remaining oil, add the chopped onion and fry on medium heat until it becomes to turn brown
- Add the green chilli to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes further, stirring to ensure nothing is sticking to the pan
- Add the red pepper to the pan, cook for a further minute and stir,
- Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp Chinese five spice and stir to coat the vegetables
- Add half of the chopped spring onions, stir and cook for a further minute
- Then add the cooked chicken to the pan of vegetables, stir to thoroughly coat the chicken in the vegetable mix, and cook for a further minute or so until the chicken is as brown as you prefer
- Remove from heat, top with the remaining, raw spring onions, and serve on a bed of rice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 542Total Fat 25.5gSaturated Fat 2.8gCholesterol 0mgCarbohydrates 32.1gFiber 4.5gSugar 4.5gProtein 50.4g