When working in a Chinese restaurant, our most popular dish was Salt and Pepper chicken and for good reason – it’s delicious! Wok fried spices and vegetables are mixed with battered chicken breast to create the ultimate combination of salt, spice and crunch.
Here’s a recipe of how to make Salt and Pepper chicken at home, feel free to adjust the spices to suit your needs; if you want it to be super spicy or salty; just add a little more, there are no rules when cooking at home!
How to Make Salt & Pepper Chicken – Video
Got a salt and pepper craving? Take a look at my favorite recipe for Salt and Pepper Chips.
- 4 diced chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 cup cornflour
- 2 diced onions
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced and de-deseeded green chilli
- 1 bunch of spring onions, diced
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
Marinating the chicken
- Dice chicken into even pieces, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp Chinese five spice and1 tbsp black pepper
- Rub the spices into the chicken to evenly coat the chicken
- Set aside while you chop and prepare the vegetables
Preparing the vegetables
- Finely dice the onions, red pepper, green chilli and spring onions, and set aside
Battering the chicken
- Tip out 1 cup of cornflour onto a large, flat plate
- Add the marinated chicken to the plate of cornflour, and toss/move around with your hands until it is all evenly coated
- Do not let the coated batter sit too long before the next step or the moisture of the chicken will soak up the cornflour
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a large pan, until a little cornflour sprinkled in bubbles upon contact
- Add the coated chicken to the pan, and cook until the underside turns light brown
- Stir the chicken to brown the other side, and cook for a further 10 minutes; or until the chicken is cooked through and brown and crispy on the outside
- Remove the chicken from the oil using a slotted spoon, and set aside on a pice of kitchen roll to soak up a little oil.
- To the remaining oil, add the chopped onion and fry on medium heat until it becomes to turn brown
- Add the green chilli to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes further, stirring to ensure nothing is sticking to the pan
- Add the red pepper to the pan, cook for a further minute and stir,
- Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp Chinese five spice and stir to coat the vegetables
- Add half of the chopped spring onions, stir and cook for a further minute
- Then add the cooked chicken to the pan of vegetables, stir to thoroughly coat the chicken in the vegetable mix, and cook for a further minute or so until the chicken is as brown as you prefer
- Remove from heat, top with the remaining, raw spring onions, and serve on a bed of rice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542 Total Fat: 25.5g Saturated Fat: 2.8g Cholesterol: 0mg Carbohydrates: 32.1g Fiber: 4.5g Sugar: 4.5g Protein: 50.4g